Tuesday, December 05, 2006

CD10 Sono: One Good Egg

egg-m

So, I psyched myself up for the CD10 sono today. Last time, I was upset after my CD10 sono because the results showed a grand total of 2 follies, one on each ovary. I had that with a natural cycle, so I was bummed that with the Clomid, there was no difference.

But I learned some things last time.
1) CD10 is too early to know what's going to happen in the ol' ovaries. So, whatever the results of a CD10 sono, I shouldn't worry unless Dr. Quick says I should.
2) Sometimes, what appears to be one big follie on CD10 actually turns out to be a cluster of smaller follies. (Either that, or my follies sometimes shrink, but I prefer the former thought.)
3) Dr. Quick doesn't bother to tell me when I have smaller follies. He only notes and measures the bigger ones. I know this, because Dr. I-Don't-Want-to-Be-Here-on-a-Saturday does note the little ones when he gives my scans. Dr. Quick doesn't seem to note them until they're at least 13 mm. I also know this because I pestered Dr. Quick once last cycle, asking, "That's it?" And he told me that there were some smaller ones. But he likes to remain tight-lipped.

I have decided Dr. Quick likes me though. I thought he didn't for a long while. I thought he thought I was stupid. (He once told me I put the gown on wrong. I don't understand how I can figure out Calculus but I can't figure out a paper gown, but it is what it is.) I am used to doctors liking me. I'm a good little patient. So, anyway, I am glad Dr. Quick said goodbye to me and smiled at me. God, my approval-seeking adult child of an alcoholic behavior is disgusting, isn't it?

I was thinking last night that it's weird that I can just show up at an RE's office and say, "I want to get pregnant" and he'll help me. It wasn't really that simple, of course, but all the steps I had to take to get him to help me were medical. He didn't get to know me at all. I mean, does he care if I'd be a good parent or not? I know lots of people get pg all the time and wouldn't make good parents, and it's not for him to say who would be a good parent or not, but still. It's kind of weird that he's willing to help me not knowing me at all. It's good. I'm not complaining. I find all the hoops adoptive parents have to go through annoying given that most couples don't have to have home studies and background checks done in order to have their kids. (G-d knows, some children would be helped a great deal if all parents DID have to have those things done.) But it's kind of weird that this man is willing to help me get preggers without knowing anything about me. Why did he go into this field of medicine? Does he get satisfaction out of his job? Does he ever take a day off? (When I get Dr. I-Don't-Know-Want-to-Be-Here-on-a-Saturday, it's because Dr. Quick is at the lab doing IUIs and IVF transfers, not cuz he's off.)

So, anyway, back to my appointment. Before the appointment, I told myself over and over that I should not get upset no matter what does or doesn't show up on my sono today. It's only CD10. Too early to tell.

So, the results? One 16 mm follie on the left. My doctor said nothing about the right. But there could be smaller follies he isn't telling me about. That 16 mm follie might turn into 2 smaller ones. It's too early to tell. I'm not freaking out. It's unbelievable how much better I do when I know what to expect.

I'm also not freaking out because the reality is... I have at least one nice, plump follie. One good egg is all I need.

12 comments:

Melody said...

One good egg and one enterprising spermy. What cycle day will you inseminate?

Trista said...

That's right. Quality over quantity.

That should be our mantra

Co said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Co said...

Melody,

My insem date remains to be seen. I am doing OPKs just in case, but I won't get a positive today or tomorrow. Which means, I go back for another u/s on Thursday to see how much the follies have grown. If they're almost ready to pop, I'll probably trigger on Thurs. and insem on Saturday. But if not, then I'll probably go back for another u/s on Saturday.

So, anyway, I suspect my insem date will be some time next week, knowing the way my follies grow.

charlotte said...

Glad you have a good egg!

Gretch said...

Whoo hoo for the good egg!

And, I'm right there with you - having a "framework of expectation" can make all the difference in the world when it comes to reducing anxiety.

Clare said...

Good luck with that eggo yours

Rabbit said...

True, it only takes one good egg to make all the difference. Much luck to you!

mermaidgrrrl said...

The month I conceived was the only month I had only one egg and I had been so disappointed by only having one. Disappointment changed to relief big time when I got the positive because I didn't have to be freaked about multiples!

Melody said...

We'll be inseminating on Friday and Sat or Sat and Sunday of next week, so it looks like we get to TWW together. :)

J said...

Yay good egg. And yay for your state of mind. Sounds good!

e. said...

You said ti best, one good egg is all you ned! Good luck.

Still wating to ovulate here...