Friday, March 09, 2007

Decision

So, I had an u/s today. Probably about 12 follies, most still not nearly mature. Three are very close to maturity or are already mature. If we trigger tonight, we could do an IUI on Sunday and have 3 eggs. That's the same number I had during my first Clomid IUI, so on the one hand, that's disappointing because it feels like I'm not going to get better odds than I did with a cycle that didn't result in pregnancy (although it's not an apples to apples comparison obviously). On the other hand, I'd feel a lot less terrified with only 3 eggs in the mix.

But there is a potential issue... A LOT of my follies are about 15 mm right now. So, while we wouldn't expect them to grow enough to pop, my R.E. said that it's conceivable that one or more of them could pop by Sunday. Which could lead to scary multiples.

If we waited until Saturday to trigger, I'd probably have 10 mature eggs, which is way too many for an IUI.

On an unrelated note, our friends picked up a baby from their adoption agency last night who will hopefully become theirs very soon. I was oohing and ahhing over the baby, who was being mildly fussy, and thinking about how I so don't want to ever have to consider selective reduction or anything like it, but also about how I so don't want to have more than one baby at a time if it can be avoided.

I asked Dr. Quick if switching me to IVF was still an option. He said it was. And we talked about it for a while. It seemed to me that if I might well get 10 eggs instead of 3 eggs by waiting one more day that I should think about maybe doing IVF this cycle.

So, call me crazy if you want, but I have decided that I want to do IVF this cycle. Lo is supporting me in this decision. I am really too terrified of scary multiples to do an IUI with such a crazy number of follies (even though in reality, I'd probably only get a BFN). And if our IUI didn't work, I would have to go back to Clomid IUIs (which haven't worked for me yet) or move on to IVF anyway (because I don't think an IUI with injectibles is a good option for me). Since I am lucky enough to have IVF covered by my insurance, I am going for it. Wish me luck. Tell me horror stories or "it wasn't so bad" stories, if you've done it. Whatever.

I don't know if I'm making a mistake or not, but I feel much more comfortable with this decision than I have been feeling about doing an IUI with this many follies (in case my hysteria wasn't apparent in my last post). Only time will tell, I guess, if I made a good choice.

9 comments:

maeby said...

i can't say anything with regard to ivf (haven't been there - yet), but i am so, so glad that you've made a decision with which you're comfortable. and who knows? perhaps this is all that you'll need!

Sophia said...

had along post eaten. email me or call me.

CD & SP said...

What a decision! WOW! I am so excited for you guys!

calliope said...

wow!
sounds like this is a good choice & I am glad (& so effing jealous) that this is a doable option.
Now YOU will have take lots of notes to school me!
xo

bri said...

WOW! How amazing to suddenly be doing IVF without having to have all the build-up and scary anticipation! When are you retrieving? It's like superspeed IVF! Amazing news!

marci said...

I think you are making the right decision. As you know, I'm right now in the midst of my second cycle of IVF (frozen eggs this time) and am hoping this will be it! :)

The retrieval is the most invasive as they put you under general anesthesia. I had some cramping afterward, but that was about it. It is more than worth it. And with 10 mature eggs, you can freeze some for later. That your insurance covers IVF is pretty damn awesome too. So, good luck and keep us posted!

SandraMort said...

Noooooo, it doesn't sound like a mistake at all! It sounds like a well thought out and sensible decision.

Gretch said...

Wow! Congrats on the decision - how exciting to be moving ahead with IVF after such good luck with the injectibles! Good luck with the retrieval - we're crossing everything at the Butterbean household that this cycle is the one for you ;)

e. said...

Wow. I imagine this is the best way to start IVF--- with out all the build up.

Goodluck!