AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Allies

This year Pesach/Passover, the holiday of liberation, comes on the heels of two amazing legislative victories: same-sex marriage is now legal in Iowa (with thanks to these ladies for their pride and bravery!) and Vermont (which means wedding bells for these ladies!).

On the two different days that Iowa's and Vermont's historic decisions were made, virtually all of my queer Face.book friends made reference to the victories in status updates. Then I noticed that a few of my straight friends also mentioned the news. And I found myself feeling a special pulse of warmth for those folks. It's another thought to add to my ever-expanding definition of "ally": to be able to participate and rejoice in a fight for justice that has no personal impact. Or perhaps the wisdom to understand that there is a personal impact: that none of us are free until all of us are.

1 comment:

Blondie said...

It's amazing, isn't it? I never knew we had so many allies as when I saw it all over FB. People who'd never given me a second look in high school were congratulating me, and saying that they were proud to say they went to school with me. Incredible.