Oneofhismoms tagged me to do the "7 Things" meme, so here we go.
1. I spent my study abroad semester in Montreal. I am a Canadophile, and have thought seriously about immigrating (current U.S. politics have fueled this desire, but did not originate it). Montreal was closer to my parents' house than the U.S. college I graduated from. However, I really appreciated my time in Canada. It offered me a perspective from outside of the U.S., which is invaluable, and I did get a chance to use my French. Montreal is one of only two cities I've ever felt truly at home in (the other being the one I do live in).
2. In addition to Maggie, I have two pet hamsters. They live in my classroom, and because I let the children name them, they are Jellybean and Ray Ray. Jelly looked like a little licorice jellybean when he was a baby; I really don't know where they got Ray Ray. She nearly missed being named S*njaya, though.
3. I am shy about showing my toes. For years I searched out closed-toe, yet airy sandals. Frustratingly, these are mostly made for men (and men's shoes don't fit me well, believe me, I've tried!). Two summers ago I took a deep breath, and got some open-toed sandals and a pedicure. I feel less self-conscious when my toes are brightly painted (purple or blue or green, something outrageous).
4. I am a Boy Scout. This is because in high school I was an "Explorer Scout," a co-ed group that nonetheless is under the rubric of the Boy Scouts of America. My dad was delighted when I got my first piece of mail from the Boy Scouts...two daughters, but he finally got his Boy Scout.
5. I hate olives. I can detect their taste in most any dish, though in deference to my Italian wife I have gotten used to food that's been cooked in olive oil (always avoided it on my own). Adorably, olives are the one food I have ever seen Maggie actually spit out. That's my girl.
6. I watch much, much more T.V. now than I ever did as a kid. I watch all three Law & Orders, Scrubs, Degrassi, The Sopranos, The Simpsons, Jeopardy!...My child-self would be horrified. But adults need more downtime. And, I would argue self-servingly, T.V. has gotten better (except Jeopardy!; it rocks now, as it always has).
7. I have never been a patient in a hospital. (Excluding several E.R. visits, but I was never admitted.) When I was a kid we used to trick each other by pointing out that everyone was a patient in a hospital once, as a baby. But I was born at home. So was my sister, and our only cousin. Nephew S. was born in a hospital, though, and Embryo-O will be as well. Weird how the pendulum swings.
As I understand it, I am to tag seven people to go with the seven things. It's a challenge to find seven folks who haven't done it yet so apologies if this is a repeat for any of you...Jay and Vee, Mel, CD & SP, and Jude...you're it!